Monday, December 19, 2005

Cell phones + water = bad

Ok, this post is going to be an attempt to explain the necessity for me to get a new phone.

It all started when I was in KC for the annual Wales' Christmas bash. As usual, our Friday evening was spent at the Plaza, first eating supper, then browsing the shops for awhile. We ate at Uno's, which is a great place to be introduced to Chicago-style deep dish pizza. Well, after supper, nature called. I knew that my cell didn't always stay clipped in its belt holster, but I wasn't quick enough on the draw, and - ploosh - I'll let you decide what happened there. This is accident #1, of three basic accidents that happened that night. I'll just say that all three had to happen for the night to turn out as it did. If any two of the three had occurred, no problem. So, my phone's zapped, and I don't know anyone's number in my head anymore. Accident #2: I'm browsing in Barnes and Noble (big surprise :)) and I check the time and realize I'm supposed to be back at Uno's right now. No big deal, when is the last time a group of around 30 people managed to meet and leave within 10 minutes? Apparently, it was that night. So I get to Uno's at 7:50, ten minutes late, and no one in sight. Hmm......... I start to think maybe I got the time wrong. I then realize that Accident #3 had already occurred earlier: the vehicle I arrived in had left soon after supper, so nobody that was left would have missed me on the ride home. So, I went back to Barnes and Noble for a while, thinking that If anyone did miss me and come back, they would probably know to check here. Well, it's not easy to relax in a situation like this, so I went back to Uno's, got a mocha from across the street, and decided to wait it out. Finally, at around 9 pm, I figured it was probably going to be up to me to get to Wales'. Another problem: I don't remember their address. After some intense memory searching, Glenwood comes to mind, but I don't have a clue how to get from the Plaza to anywhere I know. I started to take a closer look at the taxis all over the Plaza. Hmm... $2.20 + $1.70 per mile....I remember Tina saying something about 19 miles to the Plaza according to Mapquest....I have $36 and change in my wallet.....figure 20 miles....wow, that's close...Anyway, for the first time in my life, I hailed a cab. I told him I barely had enough for a 20 mile fare, so he knew I was interested in the shortest route, not the fastest. Anyway, I made it to Wales', with nothing but the change to spare after I paid the cabbie. I missed the whole gift exchange, but since I had put a gift in the pot, there was one left for me. It was a whole bag of gummi worms, gummi bears, sour worms, etc., which I ended up accidentally at Tom and Tina Fehr's place anyway. :( Oh, well.
On the bright side, I was not under a cell phone contract, so I just decided to get a new phone and forget about trying to collect an insurance claim on my old one. It's a better phone anyway, and Alltel ended up giving it to me for nearly half price (that's after the discount for a two year service agreement).
So I guess that's the long way around to say that I don't have anybody's number for my contact list, since my old phone was unresponsive to any and all resuscitation attempts. :(
Therefore, if you would like me to have your number, please respond via comment, or, if you don't want the few people who read this blog to also know it, by e-mail. ;)

5 comments:

Brooke said...

Ashley...how about....


You call me so I have your number?

260-273-7518.

Yes. I'm now a converted Blufftonite

Ashley said...

My number is still the same since I didn't switch carriers, but in case you never had it: 785-770-0121

Anon said...

Ash--are you aware it's been almost a month since you posted??
just wondering
no reason
not like i'd like to read a new post on your blog or anything like that
not like i still check it almost every day just to see if you posted again yet or anything
nope
no reason







:)
it was good to see you this weekend!!

Chelsie said...

Ashley + posting on blog = Bad

Luke said...

Ashley...you really need to shoot this blog in the head and put it out of it's misery. It's been comatose now for...9 months?

BANG